I’ve been thinking a lot about dreams and goals. I’ve been a big planner most of my life, and I’ve also made quite a few leaps of faith. But I’ve slowed down over the last few years. I’ve had plenty of major changes to settle into — partnering, switching coasts, entering my 30’s, and various career shifts.
Lately I feel the change energy rising strongly again. I’ve been working to prioritize and follow through on some of my dreams outstanding, and when I came across this random meme I was inspired. Maybe it was the number 8, so ambitious and infinite. I like 8 almost as much as I like 12. Or 3. Or 9. Well, clearly I have affection for many numbers. Like 13. She always gets left out.
Ahem, yeah, so welcome to me me meme time:
8 Passions in my life
1. Ben and our life together
2. Friendship, heart connections of all kinds
3. The creative process
4. The natural world
5. Speculative thinking (what could be, how change happens)
6. Language and story, especially novels
7. Travel of the leisurely soak-it-all-in variety
8. Good food, especially if chocolate is involved
8 Things to do before I die
1. Be a mom
2. Write a book
3. Snorkle and hike in Hawaii (just happens to be next up on my dream travel agenda — this list could easily be nothing but places I want to go)
4. Finish learning to drive stick shift
5. Let go of useless fears
6. Live and learn
8 Things I often say
2. Fuck (and frak thanks to BSG)
3. hey sweetie (Or honey, sweets, baby, sweetcheeks, poodle, etc. Used primarily in reference to Ben, but certain friends also forgive my liberal use of sappy pet names. This phrase is often followed by a request for the loved one in question to do something I’m too lazy to do for myself.)
4. “Who’s my fluffernut, my sweet boy, my mischakins, my most favoritest kitty kitty in the whole wide world?” (typically said while nuzzling a furry belly)
5. what if…
6. i miss you
7. i’m not sure, i can’t remember, maybe… (i would give a lot for a really sharp long-term memory. i hate when i’m flakey. I try to compensate with extensive list-making and google calendar manipulation.)
8. I should or I should have (I’m working on this one! I also apologize too much and too reflexively.)
8 Books I have read recently
This is tough because I’ve been in a weird holding pattern for a while. I keep adding ambitious new books to my pile, and I haven’t finished anything in a while. So the finished ones go back a few months and there are a lot in progress. Also I’m leaving out a few books that weren’t all that great.
1. Eat, Pray, Love – Elizabeth Gilbert (in progress)
2. The Hoop and The Tree – Chris Hoffman (in progress)
3. Energy Medicine – Donna Eden (in progress for the long haul I think)
4. Peace Like a River – Leif Enger
5. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter – Carson McCullers
6. Eat the Document – Dana Spiotta
7. No One Belongs Here More than You – Miranda July
8. The Ladies of Grace Adieu – Susanna Clarke
8 Songs that mean something to me
Most of these songs go back a while. The last couple years I’ve mostly been into music I can dance too and music that makes me feel happy or peaceful. But when I think of songs that mean something to me, it’s the ones that helped me get through sad times and the ones that make me think of special people in my life.
1. Massive Attack – Teardrop
2. REM – You are the Everything
3. Radiohead – Fake Plastic Trees
4. Tori Amos – 1000 Oceans
5. Nirvana – All Apologies
6. Joni Mitchell – All I Want
7. Tom Petty – Wildflowers
8. Indigo Girls – Ghost
8 Qualities I look for in a friend
1. Honest and genuine
4. Chatty or comfortable with silence (I love friends who can keep the conversation going when I go blank. They take the pressure off. But I also need my fellow introvert friends. They’re the ones who often understand me best and get the most out of me. It’s a rare joy for me to be quiet with someone and feel comfortable. Usually I can only do that alone, and when it happens with others it often opens the door for deeper conversation.)
5. Willing and able to go deep (think big thoughts, share personal truths)
6. Unique or different experiences and perspectives
7. Ability to have fun with the silly and superficial.
8. Reasonably healthy boundaries and some degree of self awareness
Thanks for pinging back to me! Lovely blog you have here. :)
Wow! I don’t think I could list all this , it’s all jumbled up in my head, consciousness, somehwere…perhaps I’ll give it a go in my lj….you are tuly a gift. I am glad my dear Master of the Four Winds has you in his life.
Your geniune honesty and frankness inspire me to try to see me and the world I inhabit with a sense of authenticy and to try to keep both feet on the ground while trying to get my hands around those things that are just out of my fingertip grasp.
You are a blessing.
i wub you jowiel.
You are so AWESOME. I love your fresh, true voice. I love your playfullness. I love my Starkville cum Richmond family for introducing me to such a lovely spirit!!
I consider you and yelahneb my ‘peeps’, though our face time has been limited, my world is richer knowing you are out there!
Thank you thank you thank you.
Christy Rice said I’d like your blog. She’s right so far! Hello from Houston, I look forward to meeting you someday.
Y’all are making me blush! :)
This is an awesome meme, Joriel. Beautifully done, as always. I’m lucky to be one of your friends.